Sunday, June 12, 2011

Indian Food

So I still have a ton of spinach in the garden. Therefore the other day I decided to try my hand out at a Saag. I had never tried one before, so to get some ideas of how to do it I went online and found some simple easy Saag recipes. The first time that I made Saag it did not turn out well at all. This was because the first time I did it I used ginger root and coriander that was chopped instead of ground. The second time I did it I used ground spices and it was completely smooth and tasted wonderful! The recipe that I ended up using is basically a recipe that I made up after looking at about twenty different recipes and deciding what sounded good in what ratios. This is what is came up with! I also wanted it low fat and cheap. So are not many ingredients to buy.

Sagg
One and a half pounds Spinach
One large onion
4 to 10 cloves garlic(Use as much as you taste buds like:)
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
2 to 3 teaspoons ground coriander
1 Teaspoon Turmeric
One cup plain yogurt
1 cup water
salt to taste

Saute onions until they are translucent. Then add in garlic and spice saute another 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook with the water. You want to spinach to cook on a slow boil. It will take about 7-12 minutes to cook. Then you want to puree your spinach with a blender or food processor. Once it is completely smooth than return it to the pot or sauce pan and bring to a boil. Make sure to stir or it will stick. Once boiling add yogurt and remove for heat. Then serve over rice, potatoes, polenta, steamed vegetables or plain.



Potatoes
Andi wanted potatoes so she cooked the potatoes with garlic salt and a little salt and pepper and a little oil olive (so that the food does not stick). She covered them in tin foil and then put it on the grill. Rotate every five minutes and cook for 20 about twenty minutes. she used red, Yukon, and purple to make them look so pretty.

Cauliflower
All that I did was steam it with a little water and curry sauce. I used a curry powder. You could use coconut milk instead of water if you wanted it to be a little sweet.

Peas
The peas are also from my garden. These peas I grew in pots on my balcony. I like to grow them because sugar snap peas are pretty to watch grow and they like cold and a lot of water so you can start them in pots as early as March in Eugene,Oregon. Also they are expensive!!

This was a wonderful meal and was only about five dollars to make. First the spices cost twenty cents because I buy my spices in bulk. Then all I needed was a quarter head of cauliflower, an onion, about a dollar worth of potatoes, one cup of rice, one head of garlic, and one yogurt. All of the spinach was from my garden:)

No comments:

Post a Comment